Most people know that it is a bad idea to give dogs chocolate. Less well know is that there are actually a number of other common household foods that are also quite dangerous to dogs. Knowing about these foods and being prepared if your pet needs emergency care after consuming something poisonous can help you prevent a tragic and avoidable accident.
This fruit may be delicious to you, but it is poisonous to dogs when consumed in large amounts. It is important to note that the bark and leaves of avocado trees are also dangerous to dogs; for those of you who have these trees growing in your backyard, it may be a good idea to fence it off in order to keep your dog away from it when she’s playing on her own.
Many teenagers and college students may think it’s funny to give a pet a bowl of beer, but this is in fact very dangerous for dogs. Alcohol affects dogs in a similar fashion it does humans, but canine livers suffer far more damage from it. If a dog consumes alcohol it can result in a number of serious medical conditions such as a depression of the central nervous system, coordination problems, difficulty breathing, or death.
3. Onions and Garlic
Onions and garlic can wreak havoc on the red blood cells of a dog and result in anemia. Because these are two common ingredients in many processed foods, it is important to keep track of any table food that your dog is given in order to ensure he does not ingest anything that is dangerous for him.
4. Caffeinated Drinks and Foods
In large doses caffeine can result in a dog’s death, and unfortunately there is no way to stop this from happening once he has consumed the caffeinated product. Remember that caffeine exists not just in coffee and tea, but also in cocoa, some soft drinks, stimulant drinks, and some medications. Make note of any items in your house that may contain this ingredient, and be sure to keep them out of the reach of your dog.
5. Grapes and Raisins
Although these have been used often as dog treats, grapes and raisins have been shown to cause kidney failure in some dogs. The reasons behind this are unknown, but it has been established that even a small quantity can cause a dog to become seriously ill. Because many children love grapes and raisins as well, it is a good idea to talk about this issue with your kids so that they know never to share their snacks with the family pet.
6. Dairy Products
Ingesting milk and other dairy products such as ice cream and cheese can lead to digestive issues for dogs. In the short term it can cause diarrhea, and in the long term it can set the foundation for food allergies.
7. Macadamia Nuts
These tasty nuts are deadly to dogs. Just a handful of them can make a dog seriously ill, and may even result in death. Keep anything with macadamia nuts out of your dog’s reach—especially items that also contain chocolate.
It can be scary to consider how many things in our daily environments are actually very dangerous to our family pets. However, if you take steps toward preventing any potential problems, like having the number to an animal emergency clinic available, you probably do not have to worry about the prospect too much.
Adorable puppy photo by 2 TOP on Flickr